Sunday 21 August 2011

The 'August Riots'

It has taken me some time to post about the 'August Riots' that occurred, here, in the UK. There are 2 reasons for this; firstly I have been lazy, secondly I wanted to see if anything more would erupt or, rather, if the riots would intensify...which they did not.

I had briefly heard or read something about riots occurring in London, but thought nothing of it and went on with my day. While leaving work, I received a text from a friend, saying to be careful walking through town, as there are riots going on. I was not too concerned but I did become more aware of everything around me. As I approached the city centre, there was a sea of neon yellow and a numerous amount of police vans bobbing among the streets. I battle to see what was going on but as I drew closer, I identified a bunch of hooded teens on their push bikes, some as young as 12 years old. It was then I realised how pathetic the whole situation was. These kids were using the death of a man, they never knew, as an excuse to defy the police and society and to steal some new clothing. It makes me sick and it just proves that the kids in this country have no pride in themselves or in their country, its embarrassing. They have no sense of right and wrong and believe they are entitled to everything for free. Everything in this country is spoon-fed to the British  benefits are a huge cause of this problem. I am shocked at how dependent, a large majority of this country, are on the benefit scheme. They  are getting allowances, free job seeking assistance, housing and why? Why are irresponsible, pregnant teens getting all of these benefits? I am sure this and similar questions get asked daily and I wish somebody could wake up and see what a negative influence this is having on society. Once people start depending on something, it is a painful struggle to take it away from them, especially when you are the one who gave it to them in the first place.

These 'riots' have provoked a number of very serious questions about society and the police. I am not intensely familiar with the rioting control techniques,  but I do know that whatever the English police thought would work, did not. They failed miserably and whether this was due to the government or with them directly is a question that is being heatedly debated. Regardless, they failed, and these anti-social kids saw the weakness and took complete advantage. It is terribly sad and it says a lot about the lack of respect for the police and higher authorities. I am no where near qualified to control riots and maintain order in society, but I can tell you one thing that would have got these kids to stop, a water cannon, a massive, huge, powerful water cannon! A reporter on BBC news said something along the lines of 'the rioters will not be out tonight as it is raining...' , suggesting that water is the teen-rioters weakness (they are probably too concerned they will get their 'threads and garms' ruined). That, to me, would be a certainty that the water cannon needs to be set loose on these guys.
Patrick Mercer, a Conservative MP and former army officer, told the BBC Today programme: "In Northern Ireland just a few weeks ago, we had very serious riots including the use of firearms, where water cannon and plastic rounds, not lethal weapons, were used without anyone batting an eyelid.
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/theresa-may-water-cannon-riots)


I have been talking to various people about their feelings and views on the situation and majority of people had a very similar view to my own. There was an older gentleman, whom I had the pleasure of conversing with, a teacher that works with teens and has been for 25 years now. He had a different view to mine and spoke from the angle of the teens. He said that no one realised how hard it is for kids these days and he spoke of the disadvantages they are having to deal with. I listened and agreed with a few of the points he made, but I still do not believe that they can use 'disadvantage' as an excuse. There are so many more young teens, all over the world, who are severely disadvantaged, they have no food, water or basic amenities, yet I do not see them starting fires and stealing from shops. How dare these spoilt kids try and blame their actions on being 'disadvantaged', why because you cannot afford to buy a ridiculous, over-priced pair of shoes?
Ignorance is bliss for these brats, they have no comprehension of the suffering and struggle that people have to fight through to survive everyday.

How are we going to change the way these kids think and act? There is no doubt a change needs to occur and if there is a positive that people need to take from this, it is that we all need to work together to make this work. It seems that they  'August Riots' managed to bring together many neighbourhoods and communities and there has been an air of unity across all cultures. There are fanatics, who are trying to turn this into a cultural matter, but I think that the 'kids looting' has won the attention of the British public, which is a first!






No comments:

Post a Comment